Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Brodeur Surpasses St. Patrick on St. Patrick's Day! No Luck Of The Irish Needed!

Martin Brodeur wasted little time eclipsing Patrick Roy all-time goalie win record since returning from his injury which has kept him out for most of the season. Marty has won 7 of 8 games in a triumphant return. Tonight was his 552nd win, a 3-2 victory over the Black Hawks, establishing the mark, but you know he's going to continue to build on that total. Interestingly, he has set the new benchmark in 42 less games than Roy played.
From CBCsports.ca

"It's unbelievable," Brodeur said of his achievement in front of a
roaring throng of 17,625 at the Prudential Center. "I'm so happy to be
able to make this [record] come at home for our fans who have been
great all year and throughout my [16-year NHL] career. This game is for
you. For me, just to be around these guys, I've been blessed to play for
a great organization, great fans, great teammates all my career, great
coaches. This is a lot of fun"

I reiterate what I stated in my March 12 post: "While Roy's accomplishments are 'formidable', Brodeur is the greatest of all time!" He is the new gold standard which all future netminders will be graded. 

I recall so vividly the 1990 entry draft - Marty's draft year. The Calgary Flames, my team, traded up to draft Trevor Kidd 11th overall. True - Kidd was highly touted as the top-rated goalie in the draft. But I had a grave feeling about swapping picks with the Devils when a guy like Brodeur would be still on the board at 20th. Of course, hindsight is 20-20 and I'm not a big fan of drafting goalies in the 1st round anyway, but look how this turned out!

Brodeur: A Winner Above All will air on the NHL Network on Thursday, March 19th and should be something special to watch for every hockey fan.

Congrats Marty!



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Hockey News

The Hockey News

Elite Prospects - Rumours

The Goalie Guild

Elite Prospects - Confirmed Transfers

Elliotte Friedman - CBC/HNIC

  © Distributed by Blogger Templates. Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP