Sunday, February 1, 2009

Smart Money on the Super Bowl



First off: Why is The Hockey Spy blogging about football in one of his first posts? Simple...The Hockey Spy also happens to be a football fanatic and on this "Sports Holy Day", I cannot resist weighing in on the big game.

I recently read Michael Konik's book "The Smart Money", as Amazon.com states: a "A riveting inside look at the lucrative world of professional high-stakes sports betting by a journalist who lived a secret life as a key operative in the world's most successful sports gambling ring." Although the book does not reveal any betting secrets, after reading you cannot help but look at point spreads and over/under numbers differently.

So...where is the Smart Money on today's game? The point spread opened favouring The Steelers -6.5. It later moved to -7 with some odds-makers moving it back to -6.5. If I were to have bet on this game, I really liked the Cardinals and the points when the line was -7. I honestly was gun-shy this year and couldn't pull the trigger to bet against the Steel Curtain. Instead, I entered some prop bet contests online (for instance: http://www.bowmans.net/ ) and made similar bets with friends. I had a friend in college, who was somewhat of a sports gambling chronic who refused to bet the under on any game. For that reason and because weather will obviously not be a factor, I like the over today. If today's game was based on home field advantage and subsequently was in Pittsburgh, I would like the under.
With respect to who wins the game straight up, I think it will come down to as which safety has the better game - Troy Polamalu Vs Adrian Wilson. While neither may ultimately become this year's MVP as I foresee either Warner or Roethlisberger claiming that prize, each will have a major impact. I'm guessing the Steelers will pull it out in the end, winning by 3 to 4 points.
It does get ridiculous with the prop bets, when there items such as:
  • How Many Times will NBC show Brenda Warner on TV during the Game?
  • How many food references will John Madden make during the game?
  • Which Teams Cheerleaders will be shown more often on camera? (but who honestly won't enjoy tracking this one?)

Enjoy the food, drinks, friends, pre-game, commercials, half-time show...and somewhere in there - the game!

Stay tuned...hockey coverage will resume shortly.

Upcoming blog topic...First-half Fantasy Phenoms and Second-Half Fantasy Trade Secrets.

Christopher Rock, The Hockey Spy

"Rarely imitated...never duplicated!"


1 comments:

cralph Feb 2, 2009, 6:56:00 AM  

Fantastic finish to the Super Bowl!
If only I had put my money on my predictions!
- Arizona to cover the 7 pt spread - check!
- OVER the 46.5 pt total - check!

I even stated Steelers to win by 3 or 4 - try 4 pts - check! I actually pickeed the score of 27-23 Steelers in the bowmans.net prop bet challenge!

Now time to concentrate on hockey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Hockey News

The Hockey News

Elite Prospects - Rumours

The Goalie Guild

Elite Prospects - Confirmed Transfers

Elliotte Friedman - CBC/HNIC

  © Distributed by Blogger Templates. Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP